Home Page

History of Strathbogie

Slide Show

ST MARGARET’S CHURCH

CHAPEL STREET

HUNTLY

Dated 1834. Architect Rt. Rev. James Kyle

A Listed Building

stmarg.jpg (12704 bytes)

ST. MARGARET’S

CATHOLIC CHURCH HUNTLY

In the year 1834 this Church was erected, and was opened with great solemnity on Sunday the thirty first of August, 1834.

The Church was dedicated to Saint Margaret Queen and Patroness of Scotland.

wpe09294.gif (62562 bytes)

The Catholic Directory for 1835 

‘The form of the Church is Octagonal. The front is a beautiful.facade, surmounted by a spire which has been universally and deservedly admired.

The spire terminates in a crown surmounted by a cross. It is nearly eighty feet high. In this spire is a very fine toned bell which was purchased by subscription. Nor is it here out of place to remark that this is the first Chapel in Scotland since the Reformation to have such.

The Chapel is seated for 400 persons. The side walls are 27 feet high and the light is introduced by six semi-circular windows.

In the Chapel.there is an organ and an elegant recess for the altar which along with the dome have been greatly admired.

As yet there is no altar piece, but a handsome painting is daily expected from Spain. presented from the generous family who furnished the means of erecting this beautiful structure.’

altar02.jpg (56532 bytes)

The Altar and Painting by Romero

(@ Graham Webster Photographic)

In 1840 the altar piece and the other paintings which are still around the walls arrived from Spain, from the Gordon family of Jerez.

Father Charles MacDonald, the parish priest from 1894 to 1908, redecorated the Church, the interior of which has remained the same until the recent restoration.

Canon Mc William, who came to the parish in 1977, first set himself the task of repairing the external fabric, particularly the bell tower, which was in a dangerous condition. For this, some help was forthcoming from the National Heritage Trust, but the bulk of the financial burden was carried by the parish.

In 1990 an outbreak of dry rot was discovered in the beams, and throughout the building. For a full year the Church was closed. During this time the firm "Doric Construction Company" of Aberdeen, first gutted, and then completely restored the building.

For the plasterwork they carried out within the restoration, they received the "Plasterer’s Trophy" for 1990.

This is awarded for the finest work done in the United Kingdom in that year. A grant for the restoration work was received

from the Scottish Heritage Trust.

In 1993, Saint Margaret’s Church, Huntly celebrated the 900th Anniversary of Saint Margaret of Scotland.

News Letter of March 2001

Home Page