Official Voice of the Scalan Association May 2011 No 41
Canon Peter Bonnyman Page 1
Mgr David McRoberts Page 3
By Anne Dean
Buiternach Cemetery Page 4 ByS Toovey
Poem; Ploughing Match
Progress of Time Page 10 ByS. Toovey
Points of Interest Page 12
E. G.M. Report Page 13
Alexander Farquharson Page 14
John Anderson Page 15 ByS. Toovey
Poem page 16
Canon Peter Bonnyman
The Scalan Association was formed in 1946 by the three priests , Peter Bonnyman, Sandy MacWilliam and David McRoberts; respectively president, secretary and treasurer.
Locally Canon Sandy is the best known of the three which is expected as he spent his whole life as a priest in the North-east, with the years 1945 to 47 at Chapeltown, but what is known of Peter Bonnyman?
Information can be found in back copies of Scalan News numbers 6,12,14,16,17 and 19.He was the oldest of the three founding members; born in 1883, 19 years older than Canon Sandy. Like the Mc W illiams, the Bonnymans came from the Enzie; the McWilliams from Buckie and the Bonnymans from Clochan, near Preshome. Canon Sandy had a younger brother, Lewis, who became a priest; Peter Bonnyman's younger brother, lames, also became a priest.
The Bonnyman brothers went to the seminaries of Issy and St. Sulpice in Paris. lames was ordained there in 1912 and spent his priestly life in the Diocese of Aberdeen, dying in 1941; but Peter Bonnyman was ordained in 1909 in Glasgow, where there was an acute shortage of priests and it was in the Archdiocese of Glasgow that he spent his whole working life. His faithfulness to 'home' can be seen in his presence at the requiem mass in 1917 for Provost John Kyle who was at Preshome from 1858 to 1917, pari sh priest there during Peter Bonnyman's childhood.
In the Archdiocese, Father Peter Bonnyman worked as a curate for sixteen years in various parishes before taking charge of the Renfrewshire parish of Houston. Six years later he was given the parish of St Paul's, Whiteinch and finally in 1942 he took charge of St Mary's, Abercrombie Street. As Canon Peter, he remained at St Mary's until his death in 1948.
Belonging to the Enzie, he would appreciate the importance of Scalan, where, in the 1700s, so many boys from the Enzie received their initial priestly training. His and Canon Sandy's interest in Scalan was shared by the historian Father David McRoberts, a professor at St. Peter's College, Bearsden. In 1946 all three meet at Chapeltown for a ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the death of Abbe Paul Macpherson who had received his early education at Scalan and who had founded the Mission of Chapeltown. Father David preached the sermon and Canon Peter unveiled the memorial tablet.
It was possibly at the time of this event that the three of them finalised their plans for the purchase of Scalan and the forming of the Association. As a Banffshire man familiar with Scalan, Canon Peter must have seemed the obvious choice for president, with his links with the North-east and the clergy in Glasgow where it was hoped to raise interest and support.
Canon Sandy moved to St Peter's Aberdeen and Canon Peter's death in 1948 slowed down the plans for setting up the Scalan Association.
In 1996 Mgr. Copland proposed the putting up of a plaque at Scalan to commemorate the three founding fathers, Mgr. McRoberts, Mgr. MacWilliams and Canon Bonnyman. The following year however, he proposed that three trees should be planted there in their memory.
Mgr. David McRoberts
The third founding member of the Scalan Association was Mgr. David McRoberts. Though not born in the North-east like Canon Sandy and Canon Peter his interest in Scalan, its history and its preservation, was as enthusiastic as theirs.
The youngest of the three, he was born in Wishaw in 1912.
After attending Blairs Junior Seminary from 1927 to 1931, he went to the Scots College Rome from 1931 to 1938, being ordained there in 1937.
The rector of the college during David McRoberts time was Mgr. William Clapperton from Fochabers and it was he who noticed David McRoberts great interest in history. A fellow student at the college and a lifelong friend was JK. Robertson, born in Insch, a convert and priest in Inverness from 1938 to 1945 and at Preshome from 1946 until his retirement in 1971. David McRoberts spent many holidays with J.K. Robertson at Preshome - thus the three founding priests had connections with the Enzie.
On returning to Glasgow, FT. David's first appointment was as one of the curates at St. Peter's, Partick. In 1943 he was appointed professor of Church History at St Peter's College, Bearsden where he remained for twenty years. In 1845 he became editor of St Peter's College Magazine - the magazine in which Canon Sandy's two articles appeared about Scalan, in 1946 and 1947, writing under the name 'Glenlivatensis'. It may have been at this time that a close friendship was formed between the two historians, FT. David in Glasgow and Canon Sandy at Chapeltown. In 1963 he became chaplain to St. Charles' Institute, Carstairs and in 1973 he moved to Edinburgh to become keeper of the Scottish Catholic Archives.
It was during his years at St. Peter's College that he became actively involved with his two friends Canon Sandy MacWilliams and his fellow Glaswegian priest, FT. Peter Bonnyman in the forming of the Scalan Association. As treasurer, he was responsible for the money which came in for the purchase, restoration and preservation of Scalan and for the initial publicity material for the Association. Helping them was Peter Anson who was at Scalan in 1946, drawing the buildings and measuring the interior for the founding committee, and the three priests depended on him for artistic and architectural advice.
He retained his active interest in Scalan, succeeding Canon Sandy as secretary. In 1951 he was made editor of The lnnes Review, the Scottish Catholic Historical Review, a position he held until his death in 1978.
Without access to the early Minute Books ofthe Association, it cannot be ascertained for how long Mgr. McRoberts (as he became) managed to work for the Association, combining .this with his increasing workload not only as a priest, but also as writer, editor, historian, lecturer and scholar.
One of his best known projects, started in 1968, was the photocopying by the then Scottish Record Office, of all existing pre1855 baptism and marriage registers of Catholic churches. This was a massive operation, meticulously planned and undertaken. In 1970 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters, conferred on him by the University of Glasgow.
His health had never been robust, and illness was to accompany him throughout his life, getting worse as he got older. A year before his death he wrote to Canon Sandy on his retirement from St. Peter's Aberdeen and move to Aboyne: 'life should be more tranquil in Aboyne and it would be wonderful if you could manage a little more writing ... What you have written will be of permanent value ... Set down as the mood takes you, some random reminiscences of people and places in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.1t is a whole way of life that has vanished almost completely'
Mgr. David was physically unable to tackle all he wished to achieve at the archives. He died in 1978.
These two articles follow on from the Sandy MacWilliam article in the last edition No 40
By Ann Dean
The Buiternach Cemetery has been described as the "loneliest, most secluded burial ground in the North East of Scotland". Like Scalan it is well off the beaten track. It was consecrated in 1750 by Bishops Hugh Macdonald (1699-1773) and Alexander Smith (1684- 1761) and is in direct line with the old doorstep at Scalan. Originally it was a burial ground for Catholics but in later years became interdenominational.
There is no authentic history relating to why the graveyard was sited in such an isolated spot. The 1794 Statistical Account of Scotland (Inveravon) mentions the creation in 1750. The 1836 Statistical Account reports that The Buitemach was near the site of an ancient cairn" raised over the grave of a person of note" No cairn existed in 1888. The name 'Buiternach' is partly of Pictish origin, and there is every indication the place may have been a scene of Druid worship in the early ages. At one time was the ground consecrated? We will never know. It was also mentioned that the consecration in 1750 was carried out for the Gordons of Minmore.
In 1888 Dr. Cramond of Cullen visited the graveyard and noted there were twenty gravestones, some of which were of the table design so popular a century ago when body snatchers were active. A very old tombstone dated 1796 and bearing the name Gordon who was heir to the lairdship of Letterfourie (in the Enzie), but his physical and mental disabilities debarred him from holding the honour, hence his sojourn and demise in the Braes of Glenlivet. Until 1793 the burial ground was not enclosed, it was an open hillside. There is no record of who erected the stone and turf dyke. In 2007 the Moray Burial Ground Research Group recorded a much worn table stone -James Gordon aged 68years died 9th Dec. 1794? I wonder if it is the Gordon's grave.
In 1908 the turf and stone wall was replaced with a stone and lime one with a cement coping. An iron entrance gate was erected in the south wall. From this date until 1936 when James Irvine was intered there were only about twelve burials. His twelve year old son recalled the day in 1984 " The hearse drew into Upper Clashnoir farmyard, the coffin removed and carried by four mourners using hand spokes up the side of the park. A man working the land with his horse, stopped, removed his cap and watched as the coffin reached it's final resting place".
From then until1993 nature was left to take over. The late Tom Stuart, Glenlivet postmaster, fought long and hard to get someone to take responsibility for the cemetery. In the end, with the help of the late Bill Grant, and the Northern Scot newspaper writing about it, the Crown Estates who own the surrounding land and Moray District Council came forth with help. Where possible grave stones were reerected, the grass cut and trees and bushes cut back. The iron railings repaired and painted. The entrance gate restored and re-hung. A new gate was erected to gain easier access and the dyke and wall repaired. Signs are erected to mark the route.
There are nineteen visible grave stones but there are many more beneath the sod. The last two burials occurred in September 1936. The stones record the names of the people and where they once lived. Clashnoir and Backside are now one farm but not farmed by Gordons. Glensuie exists but no one lives in the area. Scalan has no one living in it or near it but the ruins of the cottages are still present. John McGregor was a mole catcher and crofter in 1841 and remained so until his death and burial in the Buiternach in 1890.
Why not visit this peaceful place with its views of the surrounding countryside. When you turn off the B9008 follow the signs for Chapeltown and Scalan. After about 600 metres you come to a right hand bend with crash barriers, about 200metres further on you will see a track on the right through mature birch trees. Leave your vehicle and walk up the track until you reach the cemetery entrance. Pass into this enclosed area and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
I have drawn extensively on information gathered by the late Tom Stuart and many others. Without it this article would never have been written.
A Ploughing Match
'Twas on a Tomnaleinin lea
The day was cold and raw
That five and twenty plo win lads
Their feerins start tae draw
Resolved to do his best
For honour great is the championship
0' any plooin test
Alt men were there in force
With ploos and horses braw
They thought that they were best that day
How croosley did they craw
But sad to say at close of day
Wi faces soor and long
They were beaten by a Crombie lad
They hadna reckoned on.
A lad frae Bly his skills did try
But 0 'twas sad to see
His crookit furs were flat and braid
They didna please the ee
Twelth prize he got among the lot
An' lucky he was I trow thought
Perhaps he'll train ere he come again
Tae the Tomnaleinin howe
The fray is o' er and now they stand
On Tomnaleinin's green
And as the prize list is read oot
Soor faces can be seen
Big Alex he has dung them doon
Beat champions and aw
The best seed furrs packin and straught
His work it had no flaw
Up Crombie side ye've won the field
Altfannoch, Bly and Livet yield local burns
Ye blithely lead the van
For bonnie lassies, athletes
An noo the best ploo man
Gae busk yere bonnets ribbons braw
An boldly step wi pride
For Bob-a-Iac he cried (wi spite)
Good for the lazy side
Attributed to Robbie Lamb
Spellings copied from the hand written version
Scalan was the sheiling ground for Tomnaleinan, about a mile away, before the Seminary was founded.
Looking north west towards the bridge Circa 1880
Looking towards Scalan Circa 1880
Old horse plough
Scalan Seminary was established in 1716/7 on land belonging to the Roman Catholic Duke of Gordon. To survive it worked in tandem with nature. Students helped to harvest crops, look after livestock and dig peat. Peat fires were the only means of warmth. Over these fires were hung kettles, frying pans and griddles. In 1799 the seminary was closed to students but Fr. John Sharp remained to manage the farm and minister to the people in the Scalan Township. He was transferred to Aquhorties in 1807 and the building turned into a farmhouse. In the ensuing years it was badly neglected until Monsignor Sandy MacWilliams alerted other priests to the significance of Scalan to the Roman Catholic faith in Scotland and elsewhere (Scalan News No 40).
The supportive role of farming was never in doubt and recently I was given two photographs taken by the same photographer circa 1880. I have to thank Alasdair Roberts, founder of the Scalan News and John Gallacher who has family connections with Scalan cottage for letting me have them. The cottage was built circa 1830 on the foundations of the old seminary kitchens and inhabited by the Mathesons. The last one was Sandy, born in 1916 and died in 2005. On his death the cottage was purchased from the Crown Estates by the Scalan Association who now owns the entire Seminary site.
The 1841 census shows that Philip Matheson and his wife Henrietta lived at Scalan and I think it was that cottage. Their first born son, Alexander, was born in 1835. In 1860 he married a local girl, Barbara Stuart from Eskemullach, and they' reared 15 children in this typical Scottish dwelling. How they managed I do not know. There was no running water, it was carried from the Crombie burn, the bathroom was non-existent but there was an outside closet. Cooking facilities were very primitive with a swingle over the sitting room fire. The two fires burnt peat dug from the Scalan moss way out the back. Alexander, like his father before him, was a crofter and most likely grew some grain for flour and cooking, a milch cow, chickens and possibly a few sheep. There would have been some form of vegetable plot. The township had to be self-sufficient with a weaver, cobbler, tanner, blacksmith and a miller. There may have been a first school. The older children would have to have walked the mile and a half to Chapeltown to the new school beside the chapel built by Abbe Paul McPherson. He was born in Scalan town, received his early education there, but spent the majority of his life abroad, hence the title Abbe. He always vowed he would return to "help his people of the Braes"; a promise he kept.
Alexander had a son John who married Jane Smith from Tomintoul in 1895. Their son, John Alexander, was ordained in 1925 and appointed Bishop of Aberdeen by the Holy See on 2nd August 1947 and consecrated to the Episcopate on the 24th September 1947. He died in office on the 5th July 1950. The Bishop was a direct cousin of Sandy Matheson, the last person to live in the cottage, and a relation of John Gallacher.
One photo from 1880 shows Scalan flanked, on the left by the chapel occupied then by the McHardys, and the cottage on the right where the Mathesons dwelt. The area in front is obviously turned over to farming. The second photograph shows what could have been an idyllic scene; thatched cottages plus an old cart. I wonder what lies behind those walls.
In the 1881 census there were seven families residing in the Scalan area. This dropped to six in 1891 and four in 1901. Families were leaving for pastures new possibly looking for an easier life in a kinder climate. Scalan now stands alone; a place where people can enjoy the unique atmosphere. Cows and sheep now graze the surrounding fields which now no longer belong to the Duke of Gordon but to the Crown Estates. The tenant farmers respect Scalan and what it stands for.
Compared to the ruined properties in the surrounding area the progress of time has been kind to Scalan. A religious house, fully restored, standing amidst a traditional farming area
Points of Interest
1. As the Editor of the Scalan News I wish to apologise for the erratic publication over the last year. From the May edition 2011 it will return to six monthly. Due to the cost of publication the photographs will be in a block in the centre. Information regarding [mances, reports of meetings etc. will be placed together as a separate booklet within the Scalan News.
2. Once again winter 2010 to 2011 saw Scalan cut off except for a few hardy skiers. No cattle or sheep roamed the snow covered fields. The deer, hares and birds were conspicuous by their absence and unfortunately the fauna has yet to return. The lapwings, oystercatchers and curlews have returned but are very unsettled owing to the wet, cold weather. I hope if we get some sun the bird numbers will increase.
3. A rowan tree is to be planted where our late treasurer, lane McEwan, used to sit to collect the Scalan subscriptions at the annual Mass. We hope to see you on Sunday July 3rd at 4 p.m. Please bring a friend or friends; all are very welcome.
4. The picnic table has proved a success even in the inclement weather. If you have any suggestions that you think would benefit Scalan please let me know.
5. Work will be carried out on Sandy's cottage and the buildings in the not too distant future. Scalan needs your support!
A number of
gravestones in the Braes of Glenlivet grave yard require immediate attention. This is the
responsibility of the Church and the families. The estimate is £4000, money which this
church does not have. If anyone has connections with those resting in the burial ground
and would consider helping with the cost please contact the editor, Sylvia Toovey, or
Gordon McGillivray, Torvue, Braes of Glenlivet, Ballindalloch, AB379JS.
Extraordinary General Meeting 07/09/2010
All members were notified of the E.G.M. by post but only Canon Halloran, Father Michael Briody, Father Jim Thomson and Canon Mann were present with about ten to fifteen members. Canon Halloran explained why the meeting was being held. He resigned the presidency because of his year long trip to Ghana.
Father Thomson was elected and took his place as President.
Father Briody agreed to continue as Membership secretary and in the meantime as treasurer until the Association accounts are sorted out,
Student 1771-1775 Master 1784-1787.
Alexander Farquharson was born in 1758 at Minrnore Glenlivet, a second cousin to John Farquharson, Alexander was one of only a few who spoke fluent Gaelic. He was a student at the college for four years entering the Scots College Rome in 1775. After his ordination in 1784 he returned to Scalan as master, his first post in the mission. He received his training for the priesthood under John Patterson, an excellent master and a good role model. Unfortunately he did not have the ability of John Patterson.
On taking up the post he immediately had trouble with the Scalan farm tenants who wanted a larger share of the seminary's rental (they wanted to pay less rent). He refused to meet their demands; the tenants then petitioned the Duke who reprimanded them. He then went one step further; anymore trouble and the factor would remove them from the land.
The Duke was sympathetic to the master and offered to instruct the tenants to carry the slates to re-roof the buildings; the Duke wanted them improved. The master had ambitious plans for the seminary but owing to a spark igniting the thatch (it was quickly put out) Bishop Hay made the decision to start slating immediately, also authorising interior improvements as well. Work started after Whitsunday 1786, but there wasn't sufficient money to cover the costs. The master wrote bills of promise to local tradesmen and by December he had overspent by £31. The harvest that year was very bad which greatly increased the price of meal and fodder. Bishop Hay considered him a bad manager and on visiting Scalan was appalled at the waste of money and the misappropriation of funds. The master left for Rome in 1794 to avoid conviction which could have resulted in the death penalty; a black day for Scalan.
Alexander Farquharson wandered round Europe and South America for a number of years unable t6 return to his Glenlivet home. He died in London in poverty age fifty three years.
Student 1771-1772 Assistant Master July-August 1793
John Anderson was born at Glenbuchet in 1758. Hy spent a ye as a student (1771-1772) when he travelled to Ratisbon (Regensbw Germany) leaving in 1781.Bishop Hay appointed him Assistant Mas1 at Scalan in charge of the boys and their studies. He was unordain and after a month left for Wurzberg where he was ordained as Benedictine priest in 1792. He remained there until his death in 1828.
John Anderson never served on the Mission but briefly helpl with the boys.
Rev. 1. Thomson St. Joseph's
73 Cardowan Road Stepps
Treasurer and Membership Secretary
Rev. Michael Briody St. Michael' s
13 3 Glenmore Avenue Moodiesburn G690DL
A.G.M. Secretary (temporary)
Ann Dean West Lediken Insch AB526LL
Mrs. Sylvia Toovey, Ann Dean, Mrs. Elizabeth Beaton
This is your newsletter and the committee would welcome your ideas, views a news. Correspondence can be sent to Sylvia Toovey, Chapel House, Chapeltown Glenlivet Ballindalloch AB37 9JS email firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone 01807590295
Florets of the Spring
Children of Mary-that were and are
By Rev. Joseph Thomson (Tomintoul pre 1914)
Ere the first snowdrop of the year
Up reared its head from barren clod,
To give a soul to God.
"Symbols of Purity Divine,
Besprent with pearls of crystall' d wine
From snow and ice,
Tell me, chaste floweret, have you met
Whom deaths cold hand has set
In glebous mould of Paradise?"
"Seek not for her" the snowdrops say,
"Upon this crumbling bed of clay;
The clinging shroud detains not here
Her spirit, quit this mortal sphere;
In stately mansions of the Blest,
The maiden you now lay to rest,
Out-rivalling all sun-kissed snows
Forever in God's garden grows
A lustrous rose.
Upspake the spirit of the Flowers
Which blossom free in Mary's bowers,
Where keep there watch the mystic Hours
Her constant praises singingSpirit of Purity and Love,
Great harbinger from God above,
This message sweetly bringing.
The Scalan Association - Annual General Meeting Tuesday 7 June 2011
Mass will be celebrated at "The Scalan" at 12.30, followed by a three course meal in the Braes Hall, Chapeltown of Glenlivet. The meeting proper follows in the same premises at about 3.00pm.
If you intend to be present for the three-course meal, costing £9.00, it is important for catering purposes that you inform John and Sylvia Toovey by Monday 30 May. This can be done by writing to them at Chapel House, Chapeltown of Glenlivet, Ballindalloch, AB37 9JS, or phoning them on 01807 590295, or bye-mailing email@example.com No money will be needed beforehand. The meal can be paid on the day.
Among items on the agenda for the AGM are:
The Constitution. According to Charity Law, our constitution needs to be updated regularly so that it reflects accurately the way the Scalan Association is actually run. Full papers will be available at the AGM to contrast and compare the present Constitution with the one proposed, but the main thread running through this proposed new constitution is the disappearance of the Executive Committee and its incorporation into the Management Committee, which loses the description "local". This reflects what has in fact happened in recent years since the Local Management Committee was set up. Is this the way we want the Scalan Association to go? This has been discussed already at the Local Management Committee and one aspect which is not clear is the position of the trustees, who made up the Executive Committee. They are responsible in law for all decisions taken, more now than ever, because of Charity Laws enacted since 2005. It would seem that there must be a point at which they have a veto over proposals which they deem risky for their own legitimacy before the Law;
Elections for President, Treasurer and Minutes Secretary. Fr. James Thomson was elected temporary President at the EGM in September The post becomes vacant again at the AGM so that a president can be elected for a full three-year term. Similarly, the posts of Treasurer and Minutes Secretary are open to election.
Sandy's Cottage. The Local Management Committee will explain why we have reduced our plans simply to making the building wind- and water-tight.
Subscriptions. The fact that you have received this newsletter indicates that, according to our records, you have paid your annual subscription of £10. Trying to keep an eye on subscriptions has been a problem because there was no clear start and finish to the subscription year. The interim treasurer proposes that the subscription year should end at the end of the AGM, and that all subscriptions will cease then, no matter when they have been paid in the year. This means that at least those present at the AGM can renew their subscriptions on the day of the AGM, always a popular time to do so. Another popular time is at the Annual Mass. Otherwise, payment can be made by post to the interim treasurer using the form which is on the back page.
All are asked to use this form whenever or however you pay. Similar forms will also be available at the AGM and Annual Mass. At the present moment, the only payment method is by cheque or cash to the treasurer. We need to explore other means of payment, such as standing order, and if and how this might be included in the Giftaid Scheme. There are proposals being considered by the Government which might benefit us in this area, but they are still at the discussion stage.
The annual subscription for membership of the Scalan Association enticles members to receive the "Scalan News" which is produced twice a year containing items on Scottish Catholic History, news of the Association, and invitations to the AGM (normally the first Tuesday of June), any EGMs, and the Annual Mass ( normally celebrated on the fIrst Sunday of July). Members are encouraged to pay their subscriptions well before the first newsletter is due to appear, usually in November. Payments after that will reduce enticlement to receiving only the other newsletter, usually in May, along with the "invitations" mentioned above. However, the interim treasurer proposes that the latest payment in any "subscription year" should be 31 March, which is the end of the Scalan Association's financial year. Any subscriptions received after that will be deemed to be early payments for the new subscription year due to start at the end of the approaching AGM.
A further proposal is that requests for receipts or enquiries expecting a response should be accompanied by a SAE. Postal rates have got very costly.
Donations to the Association are always welcome, and it is gratifying that many members can afford to add donations when they send in their annual subscription.
When sending your subscription please indicate if there are any mistakes in your name, title, address, or any other matter. Please make sure we have your proper postcode.
We work on the assumption that members are happy to cut down on costs by only one copy of the newsletter being sent to an address where there is more that one member. If this is not the case, please advise us and it will be rectified immediately.
The Annual Pilgrimage to Scalan takes place this year on Sunday 3 July with Mass at 4.00pm prompt. Mass always starts on time out of consideration for those who have travelled far and have far to go home.
The Right Reverend Joseph Toal, Bishop of Argyll and the Isles, has agreed to preach the homily on this occasion, and we welcome him as a long-standing faithful member of the Scalan Association and former office-bearer.
I hope that we can increase our attendance at the Annual Mass firstly by members encouraging each other to be there, and secondly by encouraging others to come, and perhaps become members of the Association, which, of course, can be done at the Annual Mass. Overleaf you will find some practical information which you could pass on to friends interested in going ...
Scalan can be reached by leaving Tomintoul on the B9008. Just beyond Auchnarrow, about five miles later, Scalan is signposted on the right on an unclassified but good road. For those on satellite systems AB37 9JS is a useful though approximate postcode. It should get you to Chapeltown. The last mile and a half to Scalan, from Chapeltown of Glenlivet is along a country track requiring sensible shoes, and one should be prepared for any weather. Thankfully, like good Christians, those who take their cars along this track can be confidently waved down by those who would like a lift.
You may want to take care to hold onto the practical details above.
Remember: Sunday 3 July at 4.00pm.
The Membership Form for Subscriptions and Donations
CHRISTIAN NAMES(S): .... .
Cheques should be written out to "The Scalan Association". All monies and forms should be sent to Rev. Michael Briody, St. Michael's, 133 Glenmanor Avenue, Moodiesburn, G69 ODL.