Our Lady, Star of the Sea, and St Drostan
The corner stone was laid on the 1st. of June 1895, and just one year later, the
Church was dedicated by Bishop McDonald on the 18th June.
The total cost was
£3,140, including the feu.
This cost was met by public subscription, the main
benefactress being Mrs. Grattan-Bellew, Lady Saltoun's mother.
Messrs. Ellis and Wilson of Aberdeen, who had been involved in the building of
the Cathedral were engaged as Architects.
At this time there were between
forty and fifty Communicants, but the Church was built to accomodate four
hundred, as the Congregation was greatly increased by the men and women from
Barra, Eriskay and South Uist who followed the herring fishing.
Going back to around 1836, there were only six Catholics in Fraserburgh, served
Before this it appears that the Fraserburgh Faithful attended
Mass in New Byth, along with those of Pennan, New Deer, Mintlaw, Strichen and
By 1891, the concentration of Catholics in Fraserburgh plus the seasonal
influx of Highlanders, prompted the decision to build the Church and
Presbytery in its present location.
Fr. Gerry, based in Strichen, and
conducting Mass in houses and the Dalrymple Hall, started the
In 1894, he was followed by Fr. Henderson who had just
spent a bleak year serving the Orkney and Shetland Islands.
photographs showing the Priest and the rough pantiled building in Lodge
Walk which was used for worship before the new Church was completed.
(These photographs were given to the Parish by Malcolm Ogilvie-Forbes)
Tragically, Fr. Henderson died age 29 in the February following the
completion of the building.
The High Altar of oak, carved in M. Beyaert's workshop in Bruges was
gifted by Mr. McGrath, Postmaster in Beauly; and the pulpit by Mr. William
Grant, a local brewer.
Lady Saltoun's kindness enabled a structural change to accomodate the two side
Altars. The Lady Altar was raised as a memorial to Fr. Henderson by his
successor, Fr. Nicol, who also had the Communion rail built. Mr. J. C. M.
Ogilvie-Forbes of Boyndlie had the Sacred Heart Altar built in memory of his
first wife who died in 1897 and is buried under the Sanctuary.
Fr. Nicol served Fraserburgh for three years, but he did leave the Parish free
of debt. It was left to the next Priest, Fr. Wiseman with the help of
benefactors to install the Stations of the Cross. This was done in 1911.
Thus the Church remained, much admired, until it was decided to use the Pulpit
in the most imaginative way by splitting it in two, the base being incorporated
into a new Altar, and the top, a Lectern.