Fort Augustus Abbey
The Fort was constructed between 1729 and 1742 to a design by General Wade and was taken by the Jacobite Army during the rising of 1745.
The 14th Lord Lovat bought the buildings from the Government in 1867 and used part of them as a hunting Lodge. In the 1870s the 15th Lord Lovat leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines. The monks immediately began the conversion from Georgian fort to Gothic Abbey and the first architect, Joseph Hansom of Hansom cab fame, designed the reconstruction and extension of existing buildings to provide an Independent school and monastery.
Further buildings were added by P P Pugin which included construction of a church and the Barrack Square was replaced by Gothic cloisters and a lawn.
History has lent the Abbey many interesting features in particular the Refectory with its panelled walls and stained glass windows and the original Guard Room with its vaulted ceiling, recently used as a chapel.
In 1993 the school closed and latterly the School and Guest accommodation were used for a tourist venture comprising accommodation, a restaurant and exhibitions. In December 1998, with declining numbers, the remaining monks decided to disperse and the property reverted to Lovat Estates.