Home Page



Dcp01451.jpg (73885 bytes)

The Dufftown parish derives from one of the oldest missions in Banffshire, comprising the Cabrach and its principal Mass-centre at Shenval which 18 th century priests nicknamed Siberia, and dreaded being sent there.

In 1817 the modern town of Dufftown was laid out by the Earl of Fife from whom the Rev. George Gordon obtained land on which he erected the present Church in 1825.  The Church is in the Gothic style and it is traditionally believed that Mr. Gordon, who had studied at the Scots College, Valladolid, in Spain, had modelled the interior of his new Church on the Chapel of the Spanish College which is known as the" Reliquary Chapel’.


Dcp01464.jpg (61341 bytes)

In 1925 the Chancel was enlarged and a new altar and oak reredos, designed by Mr. Patrick Devlin, installed. The roof once depicted angels playing different musical instruments, one of the bagpipes. One regrets that this feature has disappeared in more recent times.

Dcp01466.jpg (53210 bytes)

The painting of Our Lady of the Assumption’ which adorns the Sanctuary, came from the Chapel at Clova, a gift of Mrs. Lumsden.

Dcp01467.jpg (67502 bytes)


Mr. George Gordon deserves to be remembered because he gave to the Church in Scotland its first repertory of Church music, in the two volumes of’ Sacred Music for the use of Small Choirs ‘,a collection which had a wide circulation in the British Isles and America.


Dcp01468.jpg (54683 bytes)

 When in Dufftown, a visit should also be paid to Mortlach Church which is one of the oldest Churches in Scotland. It claims to have been in regular use as a place of worship since Moluag, a contemporary of St. Columba, came from Bangor in Ireland to Mortlach in about 566 A.D.


Dcp01462.jpg (85288 bytes)

At one time Mortlach was a Bishopric, but this was transferred to Aberdeen in 1124. Today this Church, an ancient monument, is used and cared for by the Church of Scotland. One of the stained glass windows depicts a train in memory of Lord Mount Stephen, a Dufftown lad, who came to found the Canadian Pacific Railway.


Dcp01461.jpg (46650 bytes)

The local Stephen Cottage Hospital is named after him.

OUR LADY of the ASSUMPTION is served from Tomintoul by Rev. C. M. Stewart

SundayMass 9.00 am

Home Page