ST. MARYS, INVERNESS
Restoration work has also been done to the fašade of the Church to restore it to its neo-Gothic splendor.
In April 1837, the first Catholic Church in the town of Inverness since the Reformation was consecrated and dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation. By 1894, as the Church had become too small to accommodate the increased congregation, a new sanctuary was built with an altar of Caen stone. Statues of the Sacred Heart, Our Lady and St Joseph in similar stone were installed. New Stations of the Cross and an organ were added.
The reforms of the liturgy at the Second Vatican Council meant that still further alterations had to be made, including extra seating accommodation. The Sanctuary was again extended and a marble altar installed. An extra aisle and wing has been added to the south side of the Church. The wing also includes the sacristy and the confessional which had been displaced by the new side-aisle.
This stained glass window commemorates the Golden Jubilee of Canon Stones ordination to the priesthood.